Chicken with Apples, Carrots and Grains
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1 small onion
- 2 large carrots
- 2 medium apples
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 15 ounces low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 packet Seeds of Change® Quinoa and Brown Rice
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- Peel, rinse, and dice the onion and carrots. Core and dice the apples.
- In a small bowl, mix cinnamon, coriander, cumin and pepper.
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Cut in cube shapes and rub pieces with spice mixture.
- In a large skillet over medium-high-heat add 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the onion, carrots and apples. Cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables start to brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Brown the chicken for 2 to 4 minutes per side. Add broth and packet of quinoa and brown rice. Bring to a simmer. Cook for 15 to 25 minutes.
- Add the dried cranberries and vegetable/fruit mixture. Cook until liquid is almost gone, 5 to 10 minutes.