Roasted Red Pepper, Basil and Vegan Provolone Cheese Sandwich
- CKD non-dialysis
- 2 medium red bell peppers
- 2 whole grain sandwich rolls
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 slices Daiya® Provolone-style vegan cheese
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- Rinse the red peppers and dry. Light the two burners on the back of the stove on medium. Using tongs, place each pepper on one of the burners. When the side starts to blacken turn the peppers using tongs. Keep cooking and turning until all of the sides of the pepper are blackened. It should take 5-7 minutes.
- Using tongs, place the peppers in a paper bag and close, leave for 5-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile cut each of the rolls in half.
- Place the olive oil in a small bowl. Using a pastry brush, brush inside of each sandwich roll with the oil.
- Place one slice of the Daiya cheese on each of the roll halves and put in a toaster oven. Toast until the cheese starts to melt. Remove rolls from the oven and set aside.
- Take the red peppers out of the bag. Remove the outer charred skin of the pepper with your hands and discard.
- Cut off the stem of the pepper and cut peppers open to remove the seeds and any excess water with a paper towel. Cut each pepper in half.
- Place two pepper halves on one side of each roll, place 4 fresh basil leaves on top, cover with the remaining roll half to make the sandwich.